Saturday 3 June 2017

Langham Airfield Black Dome

Friday, 22 October 2010












RAF Langham in North Norfolk was closed in 1961, and the land was purchased by Bernard Matthews for his turkeys. The black dome pictured served as a gunnery training centre - a film projector was placed in the centre of the building that would project a 180 degree image on the interior of the dome for trainees to fire at with a dummy machine gun. If that makes no sense whatsoever, here's a short film about a temporary dome that should illustrate the principle.

Lots more information here, including visiting times and details of how you can help restore the dome to its former glory.

Even more proof to support my theory that Norfolk is the hauntological county of the UK.

7 comments:

  1. I've been here, on my way to Old Town. I did take some pictures, and I was going to post them. You beat me to it, fair play.
    Reply
  2. I've never been there, but I agree with your Norfolk assertion, U-W. Maybe the east coast generally - Dungeness, Romney etc are well supplied with That Sort of Thing.
    Reply
  3. Here's a similar one at RAF Pembrey in Wales - a Flickr post from somebody whose dad worked there:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevira/228152050/
    Reply
  4. I've never been to Norfolk...However for me.. and i know it sounds biased.. Teeside (where i live) is very hauntological.. ;)
    Reply
  5. Moonplague - let's see the pictures - the one I posted wasn't taken by me.
    Reply
  6. Come to think of it, I took DV footage, not photographs. In and around that area, there are still some very odd buildings. I shot the lot. I'll see about uploading it.

    Yes, yes and yes again, Norfolk is the Hauntological capital of the UK!

No comments:

Post a Comment