Sunday 25 June 2017

The Restless Bones & Other True Mysteries by Peter Haining

Monday, 15 October 2012

(I just posted this on my own blog, but it occurred to me that Found Objects partisans might enjoy it too, so, here you go..)

Cover illustration: Alun Hood
Interior illustrations: Ellis Nadler

Assorted tales of strange and unlikely goings-on, written in simple words and big type, guaranteed to put a rocket under the imagination of any young mind. Do kids these days still read books like this? I hope so.

I suppose parents & teachers might frown upon Haining’s insistence that the tall tales herein are all 100% factual, but his introduction, in which he thanks readers of his previous books for alerting him to new ‘mysteries’ worthy of investigation, is certainly pretty charming.

My favourite story is the none-more-hauntological yarn about an RAF pilot stationed at Mildenhall in Norfolk, who apparently discovers whistling East Anglian ghost ‘Old Roger’ doing his bit to help repel the Luftwaffe. Top stuff!






No comments:

Post a Comment