Wednesday 15 August 2018

Children at Play


1973, the Department of the Environment.  The results of a survey into outdoor play on 15 local authority housing estates, all but one built during the 1960s.  Including Park Hill in Sheffield.



The text is fascinating and makes a good, dry, factual companion to Colin Ward's 'The Child in the City'.

Shocking fact: "architect designed" static concrete structures were not popular!

I ended up scanning pretty much the entire thing; I'll post more in due course.















7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be interested in getting hold of a PDF copy of this if that's at all possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have just discovered my Mum and Aunt are in this. Page 47. Is there any way of getting a copy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wee! Do you have an email address I can contact you on?

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. Not sure if you have emailed or not if you have I've not recieved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiffanie, thanks for the addess, and sorry for the delay! I'm just about to email you now.

      Delete