Thursday 21 June 2018

future dance


Me and my old pal Paul Oldfield were discussing attempts to imagine the music of the future in cinema - of which there are surprisingly few examples - and he mentioned this Czechoslovakian s.f. film from the early Sixties: Ikari XB-1

Says Paul, "This film has a great party sequence that begins with contact-free almost somnambule dancing -- like Last Year in Marienbad but in deep space. Later they move on to a kind of minimalistic mambo. I like the idea of interstellar travel being so civilised ..."


Starts about a minute in...

2 comments:

  1. Love it - I thought I had it on DVD but I can't find the bastard. There's a great sequence where they explore a derelict US spaceship loaded with cannisters of deadly gas called "Tigger Fun".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dancing scene is superb..... and slightly surreal and even eerie

    ReplyDelete