Tuesday 23 July 2019

Let’s Find Out About The Moon
by Martha and Charles Shapp
(Grolier International Inc, 1965)



As a belated contribution to last weekend’s big anniversary, here are Martha and Charles Shapp and Yukio Tashiro’s impressions of a prospective moon landing, as rendered four years before it actually happened. (I particularly love the cubist Lunar Lander and the big water tank in scan # 7.)



I found a stash of these ‘Let’s Find Out About..’ books in a bar / bookshop in Koenji, Tokyo this year. They were all pretty wonderful – and have the BEST old book smell - but sadly for space reasons I could only take a few of them home with me. The Moon, of course, made the cut.

I’m sorry the scans are a bit wonky – size, shape and hardback binding made this a difficult one to cram onto the scanner without damaging the book, but I think they just about came out ok.

2 comments:

  1. "...space reasons..." :D

    This is fab. The lander is surprisingly close to the real thing, innit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I have a set of 20 of these books all in very good condition and all with the records in the back. Does anyone know how much these would be worth please?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete