Saturday 27 October 2018

Ghosts of Derbyshire
by Clarence Daniel
(Dalesman Books, 1977)









To mark both Halloween next week and the proper onset of Autumn this weekend… Derbyshire, ladies and gents.

One of my less noble ambitions tin life to try to one day collect enough of these regional ‘ghosts of..’ / ‘haunted..’ / ‘mysterious..’ books to cover the entirety of the UK. I think I have a lot of the more obvious ones, but less exciting / evocative parts of the country can be hard to find, so I was thrilled to be able to tick Derbyshire off the list.

In addition to the usual round of spectral hounds and ladies in white, this particular area of the midlands seems notable for a lot of funny business involving skulls, and, if Clarence Daniel is to be believed, a frankly suspicious abundance of bad local poets, all dedicated to commemorating supernatural events using a fairly similar meter. You can draw your own conclusions.

3 comments:

  1. On first reading I took your ambition to cover the entirety of the UK quite literally. "Insanity! He must be stopped!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes - I see what you mean! :D

    A poor choice of words, although my wife would probably be apt to believe that I'm at least trying to amass enough books to cover a pretty wide swathe of the South-East.

    ReplyDelete