Wednesday 14 February 2018

Toppers Beezers Dandys and an Empire

Recently I was having a clear out of the loft and getting things sorted for a carboot sale, when a came across a rather large pile of old Beezer, Topper and Dandy annuals. I remember being given these books in the 1970s as they belonged to some older cousins and were passed on to me. Flicking though these books I was fascinated be the space/SiFi themed stories. A boy who could travel through time because of a magic patch on his trousers (Could be handy) A boy with a jet pack (I wanted one) A Futuristic Space vehicle with what looked like rolling pins for wheels (Nasa should have thought of that) Two Twins from the land of Whizz????? and the mysterious Planet X.
At the time I loved these stories and upon finding them spent an afternoon reading them all again. It was when reading these that I remembered I once had a large collection of Look and Learn Magazines.The only reason I used to get Look and Learn was for the Trigan Empire (originally called The Rise and Fall of The Trigan Empire) I have to admit was obsessed with these stories for a while. Sadly I only have a few of these left. The intro to the Tragan Empire was this....... In the swamps of Florida a UFO crashed somewhere in the late thirties. The spaceship resisted the impact, onboard men found the dead crew and a collection of books with inside the chronicles of the Trigan Empire. The Trigan Empire ran from 1965 to 1982, dealing with the long-past events on the distant planet of Elekton. The Trigans were twice the average hight of a person from Earth. All this Superbly drawn and written by Mike Butterworth and Don Lawrence

1 comment:

  1. Lovely stuff! I used to get the Topper as a kid in the 50's. Fond memories of all these characters!

    ReplyDelete